About Me

My photo
College freshman with sophomore credits, 18, female, scared to death, but excited.

Thursday

Orlan

Personally, I'm not a fan of Orlan's "bio-art." I think she had revolutionary ideas and that she was a great artist, certainly. She pushed the boundaries and challenged people, and that's one of the major points of art. She also did some pretty awesome performance pieces for feminism, and I respect her for all of those things.

But, personally, the idea of going in for a surgery that has risks of complications that could kill you is just too much for me. Altering my body into grotesque forms in the name of art is just not my cup of tea. I understand why she did it; I understand the message; I get what she was doing. It's just too much for me.

That said, I've noticed Lady Gaga has been referencing some of her art work in her videos. The body modifications, the heads on tables, the blatant sexuality; she worked Orlan's message into her pieces very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment